Monday, September 10, 2007

TV - DAMAGES


Okay so I'm not really in to legal drama's and to be honest I'm not that into Glen Close. So there was not a whole lot here to get me to watch this. I was like even Ted Danson's taupe would get old at some point. However, my bother called and said I should check it out. As there is not a whole lot on the tube at the moment, cause the fall TV season doesn't start for a few weeks, I figured I'd give it a shot. I mean it's got to be better than Flash Gordon right? and I even gave that POS an hour of my life. Anyway, it turns out it's pretty good. Yes, it's a legal drama, but it's really just about one case and the characters involved. And thanks yet again to our friends at wikipedia I don't need to write a description. (I mean there are plenty of folks who write better than me so why do I need to do it.)

The story revolves around a ruthless high powered attorney Patty Hewes (Glenn Close) and her new young associate Ellen Parsons (Rose Byrne), attempting to win a class-action lawsuit against the former CEO of a corporation, Arthur Frobisher (Ted Danson), on behalf of his former workers, by any means necessary.

The premiere episode begins with Ellen running through the streets of New York, visibly stained with blood on her hands and face, and in a state of shock. The police arrive and take her in for questioning, but she refuses to give any information; she simply demands to see a lawyer. Using a bloodied business card found on her with the words "I was warned" and her signature on the back of it, they contact someone who tried to employ her once, and clues start to unfold.

With that the show shifts to its main focus, a timeline six months in the past. It first introduces Patty Hewes, then details how Ellen came to be one of Patty's associates. Hewes is in the midst of a huge class-action lawsuit against Arthur Frobisher, and she is willing to do anything - and use anyone necessary - to win it.

The story shifts back and forth between two timelines, providing connecting details of the case and how it is intertwined between Hewes, Parsons and Frobisher. Read more HERE.

There are some really great performances, especially from Glenn Close (no big shock there) and the show does a really good job of grabbing you an pulling you in. Also it's, I believe, only 12 episodes so they don't have to drag out the story to a 22 season arc.

No comments: